Despite the discomfort that comes with growing a human, I really enjoyed being pregnant. Some seasons were easier than others but attempting to live moment to moment helped me move through the more challenging symptoms.
The third trimester of pregnancy begins on week 28 and lasts until your baby arrives! I entered my third trimester while on our California road trip. There was a distinctive shift (while walking around San Francisco) in my energy and endurance level as I transitioned into my third trimester. Our Baby was getting bigger and my body required more effort to move throughout the day.
"Your little one will get a whole lot larger in the third trimester, growing from about 2 1/2 pounds and 16 inches long in week 28 of pregnancy to between 6 and 9 pounds and 19 to 22 inches long in week 40." -- What to Expect
I didn't have too many new symptoms arise in the third trimester, but let's dive into my final trimester.
1. Swelling. Swelling followed me since week 17. Besides comfortable shoes that didn't cause a lot of pressure, stretching my hips at the end of the day helped release my foot swelling.
2. Heartburn. During my second trimester I experienced a lot of acid reflux but this time around it was distinctly heartburn. My OB explained that the discomfort comes from my uterus pushing my stomach upwards. Besides TUMS, I tried my best to avoid eating extremely large meals.
3. Braxton Hicks. I didn't begin (or at least I didn't notice) having Braxton Hicks until week 39. I was rather diligent about my hydration, which I believe to be one reason why I didn't have early contractions especially during our hot Nashville summer!
4. If you are anything like me, you'll want to start wearing pantyliners. In one day, I sneezed and peed twice. HA.
5. Emotions. I noticed myself becoming increasingly less patient as the weeks wore on. If something was annoying it was really annoying. I found variety was the best source of distraction. Jordan and I kept ourselves busy by saying yes to any excuse to be out. It's easy to get cabin fever towards the end.
What helped you through your third trimester?